There’s been a fair amount of buzz about the growing popularity of tankless water heaters. But actually they’re nothing new. They’ve been used in Japan and Europe for decades. With proper sizing and installation, they’re a great option, offering several important benefits.
About Tankless Water Heaters
But first, let’s quickly review how they differ from the standard tank models you’re used to.
Traditional water heaters keep a big tank (typically around 40 gallons) hot. That tank continuously loses heat no matter how well it’s insulated, so the gas burner or electric resistance element heats turns on and off via a thermostat to maintain the temperature. But the burner or electric element can’t keep up with demand — that’s the whole point of having a tank. Because of this, you can run out of hot water and must wait until it heats back up.
Tankless water heaters get rid of the tank and its inefficiency. High-performance elements heat the water as it flows through. That is, as you use it. Most models can supply 2 to 5 gallons per minute indefinitely (showers and most other single uses are on the order of 2 1/2 gallons per minute). They’re so compact they can be located right where you use hot water so there’s no waiting for water to make it down a long pipe.
The 5 Benefits of Going Tankless
- Tired of Waiting? Also called on-demand water heaters, these units deliver essentially instantly. That can be especially important for a bathroom distant from a garage as well as for quick kitchen clean-ups.
- Tired of Running Out? One or more units mean you’ll never run out again. They’re great for bathroom additions and any changes that increase demand.
- Have Limited Space? Tankless water heaters can be wall mounted indoors, outdoors near the demand, even inside a bathroom or kitchen cabinet. New energy efficiency standards make replacement tank models noticeably bigger, and may even require you to switch to a high-tech heat pump model. That could make adding a small tankless unit a big money saver.
- Save Energy, Save Water The US Department of Energy notes that switching to tankless saves the typical household $108 per year for gas models, $44 for electric. And when you’re not running the tap waiting for hot water to arrive you’re saving water.
- Longer Lifespan Tank models last around 10 years but tankless technology lasts roughly twice that long.
Tankless heaters and their installation can cost more initially. With typical savings the payback on the added costs is on the order of the lifespan. But rebates are usually available that can make your switch a smart move for economics as well as comfort and convenience.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_tagline_box backgroundcolor=”” shadow=”no” shadowopacity=”0.1″ border=”1px” bordercolor=”#666″ highlightposition=”left” link=”tel:7607448489″ linktarget=”_blank” buttoncolor=”blue” button=”(760) 744-8489″ title=”Tankless Water Heater Experts” description=”Call Now, We Are Open!” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″][/fusion_tagline_box]
Tankless Water Heater Experts
ASAP Drain Guys & Plumbing has the expertise and experience to properly guide you when choosing a tankless water heater. We’ll match your hot water use to the right model and identify issues concerning venting for gas models and circuit capacity for electric models to give you the best solution.
If you’d like to read more, check out: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/heat-and-cool/water-heating
SEE OUR RECENT PROJECTS – TANKLESS WATER HEATER INSTALLATIONS
Tankless Water Heater Installation in Carlsbad, CA
Tankless Water Heater Installation in Vista, CA
ASAP Drain Guys & Plumbing is A+ BBB rated and have been serving San Diego since 2001. Learn more or contact us any time.