San Diego County Garbage Disposal Repair and Installation
Are you having trouble with your garbage disposal? ASAP Drain Guys & Plumbing in San Diego is ready to help with affordable and truly professional service. Whether for a quick sink garbage disposal repair or a new installation, you can count on us.
A kitchen garbage disposal is a great convenience, and even helps keep the sink from clogging. But it can clog and break down itself. Below are some tips on dealing with problems yourself, and when it might be better to bring in a pro. Whenever that’s the case, give us a call. We’ll take care of everything quickly and economically. You’ll save time and won’t be taking any risks, and will have the peace of mind from knowing the job’s been done properly and completely.
Garbage Disposal Problems?
Call Now for Prompt and Professional Service
Things You Can Do When You Have a Garbage Disposal Problem
Safety first! Always start by unplugging the disposal. If it’s directly wired in, turn off the circuit breaker and then try turning the disposal on just to be sure. Even with these precautions, never put you hand into the disposal. Always use some sort of tool instead. Designed for grinding, a disposal combines a power motor running at some 2,000 RPM and driving heavy sharp blades.
- Odors. This one’s easy, just buy a suitable product from the grocery store. Or you can use baking soda (with water), or grind up a lemon in 1/4 sized pieces. Some people suggest cleaning with ice cubes and rock salt, but this may damage some less-than-heavy-duty units.
- Doesn’t turn on — no sound, nothing. Your unit may have become unplugged, or a circuit breaker may have tripped. Check these, and also press the reset button on the disposal itself. If this still doesn’t do it you may have a burnt-out motor, and that could mean a sink garbage disposal replacement.
- Noise or humming, no disposing. That’s a jam. Use the special tool that came with your unit, and then press the reset button.
- Leaks. These may be coming from the unit itself, the flange connecting it to the sink, or any of several fittings. Unless you’re a handyman it’s best to simply call a plumber. That’s especially true if the necessary garbage disposal leak repair involves a seal or gasket in the unit itself.
- Clogs or slow draining. Never put chemical drain cleaners into a garbage disposal where they do cause damage. The blockage is rarely in the disposal itself, but rather its connection to the drain and the drain tap, so treat this one like a clogged sink drain.
If these suggestions don’t work right away, don’t waste any more time. Just give ASAP Drain Guys & Plumbing a call for quick and courteous service.
Our professional plumbers are ready to take care of leaks as well as stubborn jams and clogs. We can also replace damaged blades and handle other kitchen GD repairs. Sometimes it’s better to replace the garbage disposal. That would be the case for an older unit that is rusting, if the motor is dead, or if repairs would simply be too expensive. A trustworthy plumber will perform an inspection, explain what they find, and then let you decide. Just remember, sometimes a garbage disposal simply can’t be repaired.
If you need a kitchen garbage disposal install, that will involve over a dozen steps and and even larger number of parts. Unless you want to make a day’s project out of it (and maybe end up calling in a plumber anyway) let a professional take care of this.
A new sink garbage disposal install is a bit more involved than a kitchen garbage disposal replacement. First, a dedicated electrical outlet needs to be added if one isn’t already there. It should be rated at 20 amps and 120 volts. Second, additional drain fittings and connections will have to be added under the sink. And of course the sink must have a cutout for the disposal; that sometimes means installing a new sink.
We’re happy to help you select new disposal. 1/3 HP (horsepower) models are OK for small households with small amounts of food wastes. But the general recommendation is 1/2 HP minimum and 3/4 HP preferred. Recent years have brought some advancements you should consider. For example, batch-feed units have safety features that are great if you have children in the house. Many new units are quieter and are made of stainless steel.
ASAP Drain Guys & Plumbing
We’re experienced and fully qualified for garbage disposal installation and all types of garbage disposal repair. We’ve been providing professional plumbing services in San Diego since 2001. In fact, we’re certified experts in all aspects of residential, commercial, and industrial plumbing. We’re licensed and insured, and are even a SDG&E Red Tag gas expert.
Our fleet of fully equipped vans can be at your home or business quickly, and we’ll keep costs low through our fast and efficient work. Just give us a call, whether you need to install a garbage disposal, need a garbage disposal repair, or have a minor problem you’d rather not deal with yourself.